Monday, May 23, 2011

Alpha Kappa Alpha 82nd Annual Far Western Regional Conference

My beloved sorority had their 82nd Annual Far Western Regional Conference in Seattle, WA. It was held from May 18-22nd. I LOVE going to the regional conferences. My Chapter, Eta Nu Omega hosted our 80th Regional Conference and that was the last one I attended. I was unable to attend last years because Taelyn was just 2 months old and there was no way I was gonna leave my new born, not even for my beautiful sorors. I was sad, but I just couldn't do it.

I was seriously feeling apprehensive about leaving Taelyn this time as well. I had to do it. I am a firm believer that mommies need breaks from their kids to be better mommies to them. I have never left Taelyn for longer than just a few hours at a time. This was the longest I have ever been away from my baby and the days leading up to it I was having serious anxiety. I knew Todd would be fine, but the way he does things are NOT the way I do things and like my Sorors (sisters) said over and over to me over the time we were gone, "Just because it is not your way, does not mean it is the wrong way!" That was my mantra for the weekend.

I was able to call, text, video text and Skype so that I didn't miss her so badly. I was very busy, so I really didn't have time to worry about what was going on at home. That was a good thing. I had workshops everyday and it filled up every day. I missed a few, but shhhh! I skipped a day of workshops to spend the day with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Serena. I will dedicate an entire post for that day later.

The days were all business (BORING) where the nights were fun! We had hospitality suites that were hosted by different organizations. Thursday Night Hospitality was hosted my Alpha Phi Alpha and Omega Psi Phi. They fed us and entertained us. Friday night was a Step Show. It was AMAZING! I really enjoyed the step how. I learned a few of the new dance crazes that are popular. I learned how to "Dougie" and the "Cat Daddy" These were such silly dances and nothing like the dances I grew up like the "Running Man" and the "Cabbage Patch"

Saturday night was the Formal Black and White Gala. we got all dolled up and ate a great dinner and danced the night away. This was our last night there, so Tiffani and I turned in early so we could pack and be ready to leave for the airport at 5am.

I seriously enjoyed my time away with my sorority sisters, but by the end of the conference, I was SOOO ready to go home. My only regret is that I forgot my camera a lot and only got a few pictures.

Tiffani at the airport waiting to leave.

Tanka sleeping on the plane, and yes, she wears that eye cover every time she sleeps.

Tiffani, Tanka and I went out of room in our pj's to use the computer lab and Tiffani was showing off her gorgeous outfit.

Tanka and I made a stop at See's Candy Shop


Natalie and Tanka at a workshop

Tanka and I posing at a workshop

Showing off our snazzy formal attire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...