Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Horrifyingly, Unexpected Morning

This morning I woke up at about 5:30 am. I made myself a bowl of oatmeal while I pumped. I enjoy the quiet times in the morning. I cleaned the downstairs bathroom and straightened up the living room, updated my blog and looked at pictures on Facebook. Taelyn finally woke up a little after 9 am. I got her dressed and fed and we headed out the door to join TMOMS (a mom's group that I joined thanks to my dear friend Jessica Hekman) at the Gourmet Pizza Shoppe. I was going east on Yucaipa Blvd and when I passed the Big Cheese I realized that I was going the wrong way. I had to go to Calimesa, NOT Yucaipa. So I turned around and just as I passed 7th street, I saw a truck jump the curb and what looked like to me, hit a boulder that is part of the landscaping in the center divider. As I approached the truck, I saw something that was so unexpected, it chills me to my bones even thinking about it. I saw a mans bloody head wedged under the trucks tire. I was so upset at what I saw, I gagged. I immediately turned around to see if there was anything I could do to help. Thankfully there was a policeman already driving that way and had stopped. He told me to stay in my car and he would come back for my statement.

I was shaking while I watched the driver get out of his vehicle. He was obviously shaken as well. His whole body was quivering and he was crying. He had his dog with him and he was taken to the curb to sit and wait. We watched as the Ambulance and Fire Trucks came. I sat in my car and watched them remove the man from under his truck. The police finally came and took my statement and sent me on my way. I don't know for sure if the man was dead, but I honestly don't see how anyone could survive that. Here I am, almost 4 hours later and I am still seeing flashes of the bloody head pinned under that tire. I have no appetite and am just feeling sick over it. I have gone online looking for any information on the accident, but I have been unsuccessful.

I just know that when I woke up this morning I had NO IDEA what was in store for my day. I feel like I was meant to be there. There were no other witnesses that stayed to make a statement. I am happy in the fact I did what I thought was the right thing to do and there was nothing that I could have done any different. I am thankful for my life and that I was able to witness such a horrifying accident and walk away grateful for my life, because this is proof that tomorrow is just not promised.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right, Teresa and yes, it was a God thing for you to be where you were at that moment~ Praying for you, the poor man & his family, and for the driver & his family. So tragic~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had to see such a sad and horrifying thing :( It does make you stop and think.

    ReplyDelete

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...