Monday, February 21, 2011

Birthday Invitations: My Nemesis!

With Taelyn's 1st birthday rapidly approaching, I have been brainstorming what I should do for her party. I don't want to go all out like MTV Super Sweet 16 for her 1st birthday (since she really won't remember it anyway). BUT I want to do something semi-big to celebrate her 1st year of life. Seriously, her life IS BIG to my husband and me, especially looking back at the LONG journey it took us to get her here, alive and healthy.


After talking to some friends about different themes I could do, LaQualia mentioned "Candy Land." What a great idea, I thought. I can do food, activities, decorations and invitations according to the characters of the board game. I have such a broad spectrum of things I can do! Plus Candy Land is a game that all kids know and should enjoy.

1st order of business: INVITATIONS... I Googled Candy Land birthday parties and a lot of things came up. I had a vision of "lollipop" invitations. How hard could making my own invitations be? Usually I would go to a party store and order invitations, I am someone who prides myself on not having a creative bone in my body when it comes to arts and craft type things. I am skilled in many things, but cutting, gluing, scrapbooky things are just not my forte. I'm ok with that. Since having Taelyn, I want to do things for her, I want to keep memories for her, so she will be able to remember what mom has done and what mom was going through to try and be the best mommy for her. (Hence this very blog)





Shaelyn let me use her Cricut to cut the circles and make shapes for the lollipops. Amber so graciously came over and showed me how to use the Cricut. Amber helped in the beginning stages of the construction of the lollipop. We cut a large circle, glued the information on that circle, glued the lollipop sticks to the back of the large circle. We accidentally cut a circle with stitches and she thought it would be a great idea if we weave some ribbon through the stitches. Of course it would look great, but that is more work for me!



Alisia came over and helped me put the ribbon through the stitches and the ribbon circles around the party information. Confession: I am terrified of glue guns. I have burned myself far too many times. Alisia did all of the gluing. Glue dots are my best friends.





The invitations were finally done, so I thought... I wanted to make them look as much like a lollipop as possible, down to the outer wrapper. I had to put the wrapper on and then a ribbon to finish it off. In comes Alisia again to help out. I wrapped, while she added the finishing ribbon. After all of that I thought, DONE... NOT!







I still had to stuff envelops with the invitation and the directions, then address and label them. UGH!!! These invitations have proven to be a whole lot more work than I had originally anticipated. Todd went to get the right sized envelops and I addressed while Marco added my labels and Alisia stuffed. FINALLY the invitations are done and ready to be sent. Now I just need to go to the post office, have them weighed for postage and send them off.






I have learned a lot about myself in this whole process:
1) I have very little patience for tedious tasks.
2) I am great at delegating work.
3) I have AMAZING friends (I knew that already, but this is just proof)
4) I will go above and beyond to do something nice for my daughter, even go out of my comfort zone.
5) I will NEVER do this again! Next year I am "Going Green" and sending a text and Evites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...