Thursday, May 3, 2012

Parenting is HARD! (If you wanna do it right!)

Todd and I have been taking a Parenting Class called Growing Up God's Way. I have to admit, I really am learning a lot and implementing the things I have learned from the class and I have seen an improvement. We started attending just as Taelyn started to throw tantrums. She has only thrown 4 tantrums in her life, and I can't say she will never throw one again, but I can say I know what to do next time. AS soon as she starts to get upset and I feel like a meltdown is about to happen, I give her space and let her know I am here, but I will not be an audience for her show. That has seriously worked! We are learning the importance of respect for us and for her, in a biblical sense. I just absolutely love this class and I feel like everyone I know with kids, NEEDS to take this class. You have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain from it. Knowledge is power and the way I see it, you can never have too much knowledge. Parenting falls along the same lines as politics and religion. You can't talk about it freely (with some people) without sparking some sort of controversy. I have lost friends over differences in parenting. (Yes, it is that serious!) I don't think that it has to come to losing friends over differences of opinion, but hey, you can't agree with everyone. I want my kids to be polite, well behaved and obedient. Those things may all sound the same, but they are very different and I want them to know the difference. These are all things that are referenced to in the bible and I want them to know how to act and WHY they should act this way. I think with the right tools and knowledge, we are well on our way to achieving these things. I love my kids and want to raise them in the best way I see fit and with this class, I feel like I am learning so much!
Just a random picture since I feel obligated to have a picture with every single blog I post. This is at Costco, Trent's 1st time sitting in the cart with Taelyn. They both did amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...