Friday, July 27, 2012

Water Color

I am always looking for something fun to do with Taelyn. We have been working on colors and it has really been a frustrating process. When it came to her ABC's and Numbers, she took to them right away. She can say them by herself, she can identify them when she sees them on paper, but when it comes to colors, she has no idea what is what and when I ask her, she pauses and then guesses. I have been working on colors diligently everyday for almost two weeks and she still doesn't know what color is what. I'm VERY frustrated. I have sought out help and a friend suggested that I try a new method of just doing ONE color and working on that color until she understands. The Jury is still in on if it works or not.

In the meantime, we painted with water colors yesterday after naps and I thought it was going to be a fun activity, it really turned out to be a mess, for ME, not Taelyn, she LOVED it!

Taelyn is TWO, and I MUST remember this, because after we started painting, my anxiety level went from 0 to 10, in a matter of minutes. I don't know why, but I was getting upset at the way Taelyn was painting. I know there is no right or wrong way to paint, but everything she did was wrong to me. I showed her how to dip the paint brush in the water and then the paint and then put it on the paper. She followed instructions for the most part, but when she put the brush on the paper, she mashed it, causing the bristles to separate, and I stopped her from doing that pretty much the entire time. She was going from the water to the paper, getting the paper all wet without any paint on the brush, and then she was mixing colors, (God forbid!)

Really, Taelyn did absolutely nothing wrong and she was just exploring as a 2 year old would and I let my OCD tendencies ruin it for her. I really tried to let loose and let her do her thing, but at one point, I grabbed the brush and yelled and told her she was doing it wrong which resulted in her crying, which resulted in me giving myself a time out where I went into the pantry and cried and prayed about my actions. When I came out, Taelyn was so excited to show me her art work and that is when I got these great shots. Thank God she forgave me and didn't get traumatized by the way I acted.

Pictures of her Masterpiece:
Don't let these smiles fool you, it was a rough process...
She was happy with her work and I was happy she was happy!
She was so proud of her art
This is what I posted on Instagram
I am going to frame her work and put it on display in the playroom, not only as art, but as a reminder for myself that I need to just let her be a kid and not interfere.

1 comment:

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...