Thursday, October 31, 2013

Crossfit Covert

My whole life I have been pretty athletic. I danced for as long as I can remember. I was in gymnastics, ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, Cheerleading, Polynesian dancing, and Filipino cultural dancing. I played soccer and ran track, hurdles, no less. I loved working and and I loved being sore after a good workout. I would say, "It hurts so good."

After having kids, I pretty much stopped working out all together, the most physical activity I would get was either chasing the kids, or to put it bluntly, alone time with my hubby. *wink, wink* sadly, that was it. Last year around November, I started doing a Bootcamp that was at 6am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I wasn't really getting what I needed out of the bootcamp, I lost weight and was continually losing weight, but I just couldn't keep up with getting up at 5am to work out.  I was just too tired and that is SOOO early to wake up, plus it was COLD! I'm competitive, but I didn't feel a need to compete with any of the girls in it.  I just wasn't fulfilled. 

In February, our close friends, Paul and Rafaelle, invited us to a Crossfit Competition.  They were opening a Crossfit Box of their own, so they invited us to see what it was all about.  I personally, have never heard of it, but we went anyway to hang out with them.  It was pretty hard core.  The girls were super buff and the guys were just a bag of muscles (Ew, obviously I like my honey a little fluffy).  I didn't really think much of it at the time, but I remember leaving the games thinking, "There is NO WAY I would ever do that!"

Fast forward to July, Todd ran across an amazon deal for Crossfit, come to find out, it was Paul and Rafaelle's box.  So we bought the deal and I gave it a try.  After the first WOD, I truly didn't think I was going to go back.  I thought I was going to DIE! Paul and Rafaelle called and checked up on me to see how I liked it and encouraged me to work through the pain and to go back.  The first week, I did two WOD's, the second week I did three.  I continued to do it two to three times a week for a month.  I thought that with all the work I was putting in, I would begin to see results in weight loss.  That is what I didn't see, I gained EIGHT pounds the first month, I was PISSED (to be quite Frank).  I was seriously ready to quit, but I talked to Paul and he told me to measure myself and to see if it was just muscle gain and I was possibly losing inches.  WRONG again!  My thighs were bigger, my hips were bigger, my arms were bigger, and my waist was the only thing to get smaller.  Once again, I was PISSED!  I was so, so discouraged.  I wanted to quit, but Paul told me to give it another month and to not necessarily change my diet, but cut my portions in half, but to eat more often, so I gave it another month. 

I am so glad I didn't quit.  I noticed that my clothes were feeling roomier, and everywhere I went people were telling me that I looked like I've lost weight.  The scale wasn't showing me any difference, (which is still frustrating) but I could see a difference.  I guess that is what matters.  I talked it up so much, that Todd started going.  He doesn't go as often as I would like him to go because of his work schedule, but he is trying, which is big for him.
 Todd after a crazy WOD
I LOVE our Box!  Everyone is so encouraging and inspiring.  There is healthy competition, yet everyone delights in everyone else's accomplishments.  I love when people are able to lift each other up instead of bringing people down.  There is such a positive energy in our box.  You really feel like these people care about you and it is genuine.  If you miss a WOD, you are really missed.  I haven't been this week and I was asked where I've been by multiple members.  I NEED that accountability, if I didn't have it, I would probably slack more that I do, (not that I am slacking, but I've been super busy this week.)

I actually feel stronger!
We did a 21 Day Paleo Challenge and I this is when I started seeing the numbers on the scale decrease.  I lost six of the original eight pounds I gained.  This made a huge difference.  It was really hard cutting out sweets, but I did it for 12 days and then I gave into temptation, I added a small sweet treat into my day, but continued with the challenge. 
Todd did much better at being disciplined than me.  He stuck it out the whole 21 days and as a result, he lost fourteen pounds.  I was quite impressed with my man!
Yup, that's me!
I suggest if you are interested in trying crossfit out, Crossfit Covert is the BEST Box around!!

1 comment:

  1. You look so hardcore in that last pic! So glad you are liking it and enjoying your new "family". I've heard that a lot about Crossfit boxes...that they all get pretty close to one another. :)

    ReplyDelete

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...