Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Football Theme Baby Shower Prep



I didn't throw my shower for Taelyn, generally showers are given by friends, I felt like with this baby I shouldn't even have a shower, since I had a huge one for Taelyn. I thought it would be asking too much of people. My mom told me not to be crazy! We had to have a shower for him, he is a blessing and NEEDS to be celebrated. So, with that being said, I decided to to it all by myself. Throwing a party alone is nearly impossible, and stupid, especially if you have people who love you and are more than willing to help. I am just the type of person who feels like I can do it all. Well, I can't...

So for the past couple of weeks, I have been preparing for my baby shower. Since it is the official 1st weekend of the start of the football season, Todd wanted to do a whole "Football" themed shower. Since this is his boy, I decided to be accommodating. I asked for suggestions and ideas via Facebook and boy were my friends helpful. They helped me get the ball rolling on what to do for favors and centerpieces and games, etc.

I started out with the favors since I knew with all the friends we have, that would more than likely be the most time consuming. I wanted something cute, but cost effective. I decided to make baby booties but give them a football twist and make them look like athletic shoes. I went out and bought my supplies from Smart and Final, Joann's, and the 99 Cent Store. I bought styrofoam cups, blue ribbon for laces, football ribbon for trim, tulle, and clear small rubber bands. Total cost of supplies for the booties $19.76. Not bad at all. The candy to fill the booties were over $20 but I didn't count for that since if I would have bought favors from a party place it would be in the hundreds for sure, PLUS the candy to fill them.

I cut the cups in half, made 2 slits punched holes in the slits and brought them together and tied them with ribbon to give the effect of the booties. Then I wrapped the football ribbon along the top to cover my jagged cutting skills and put a sticker on the back that says "Team DiMillo 9/10/11" I filled the tulle with M&M's and stuck them in the booties, then Viola! Since I had to make 100, I called on some friends, Alisia of course helped, A LOT, she is always my life saver! Raylea and my cousin Melanie came and helped too. After 2 days, all 100 were done!



Next were the centerpieces. I knew I wanted footballs, so we got those at the 99 Cent Store, Alisia tied baby blue ribbon around it and we left those alone for a few days. I didn't know how I wanted to display it on the tables. My brother Richard suggested that I mount them on a tee. I asked Todd and he said that tees were expensive, so he suggested that we put them on a plate and use a cup to mount them. I decided to put Easter grass I had left over from Taelyn's birthday party and it all worked out! They look great!





There is still lots to do, but I am glad I got those things out of the way early, so that is one less thing I have to worry about and I am soooo thankful for my family and friends for helping me do the tedious act of getting the favors and centerpieces done. More to come on this baby shower business....

1 comment:

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...