Wednesday, May 20, 2015

T's Hair Life Crisis

One day, I put it in my head that after year and years, possibly 20 plus years of flat ironing my hair, I want to try and wear it in its natural state.  Before kids, I went to the hair salon every two weeks to get it washed and flat ironed.  After Taelyn, I would go once a month. After Trent, I would be lucky if I could get to the salon every other month.  I never owned shampoo or conditioner because I never washed my own hair.  If I'm being completely honest, I think I went quite a few months without washing my hair because I just couldn't get myself into the salon.  My hair is something that is REALLY important to me and it never is a huge issue because I always made sure it looked amazing.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that when I had cancer, I lost it all, so when it grew back, I wanted to make sure that it was always on point.  

I took this picture right after I had washed it and tried to let it dry naturally.  I was naive and thought that I could wash it and let it dry and it would be ok.  I was so, so wrong.  After I posted this picture to Instagram, I got all kinds of feedback on what I needed to use to revive my curls. 
 I made a trip to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought lots of different products that were suggested and this was the outcome.  This was the first day that I went out with my hair au natural.
 I was also told that I should try to braid it and keep the braids overnight and unbraid it in the morning, this was the outcome.  Not really my favorite look at all. 
 This was probably the BEST hair day I have had to date.  I never really understood the whole "good/bad hair day" talk because when I my hair is straight, it always looked the same.  In the month that I have been doing this hair experiment, I think this was the ONLY day that I didn't feel self conscious. 
 
I attempted to wear it all down only once.  It looked ok when it was wet, but when it dried, I had to pin back the front because it was just too big for my taste. 
 It takes WAY longer for me to fix my hair when I am rushing out the door.  When my hair is straight, I take my scarf off and comb it out, it takes less than ONE minute to fix when it is straight.  Now, it takes me anywhere from 10-15 minutes to get it to look like this.  It's nothing spectacular. 
 So, I am pretty much over it.  I dread fixing it everyday.  It takes way too much time and I just don't think it looks good.  I am too old to be feeling self conscious about my looks.  I am going back to what I am comfortable with.  This hair is not ME. 
This hair is me and I want it back. Looks like I will be making an appointment VERY soon!

4 comments:

  1. I knew it was a matter of time...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my lady, that was me too years ago. Trained hair cannot be revived over night but can with time. ApHogee has some treatment products that will help. For your hair type a twist out may be better. I learned that the key is to have the hair as damp with your product as possible. While twisting, the product should ooze as you twist. It is a tedious process and requires patience. But in my opinion, twist outs look best 2-3 days after... so keep the twists in for a few days before letting them out, or make sure you twist them early enough the day before that when you take them down using an oil to seal the ends, that your tresses are completely dry. Also, keeping your hair moisturized, in low manipulation hair styles will assist in your hair making it's transition back to curls. I straighten my hair maybe every blue moon, in between I'll blow dry to trim my ends and just plait most days. I try to wear a satin or silk bonnet or scarf at night but I'm inconsistent with that. When I do wash and condition, I air dry when I can which makes blow drying time shorter. I also use heat protection (leave in conditioner, wet set lotion, heat activated protectors, etc.) They also have flat irons, blow dryers, etc. that promote healthy hair (such as the Instyler, or tourmaline styling products). Once you restore your curls, using those less aggressive styling plug-in products occasionally, will allow you to enjoy straightened hair while protecting your natural curls from reverting back to a blah state. Hmu if you have any questions. I'll leave my email because my cell changed and I don't want to post my number. Tye.HL24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, you crack me up! I think your natural hair looks totally cute. And you were totally spoiled having your hair look good with no work, it takes me that long to do my hair, which is why it only happens a couple times a week, haha... Pony tails on rushed days!

    I think you should try it a bit longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, you crack me up! I think your natural hair looks totally cute. And you were totally spoiled having your hair look good with no work, it takes me that long to do my hair, which is why it only happens a couple times a week, haha... Pony tails on rushed days!

    I think you should try it a bit longer :)

    ReplyDelete

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...