Thursday, March 11, 2010

23 Hours in the Hospital

Play by play of the last few nights of labor for me and Todd:

2:00am March 9, 2010, I woke up with some mild contractions, I was not too worried because they were mild. I felt them, but they didn't hurt, they were just noticeable and annoying. I tried unsuccessfully going back to sleep. I carried on with my day. I had my ultrasound and stress test. While I was there, my contractions were noticed by the tech and by my doctor. He continued to monitor me while I was doing my stress test. He said that if my contractions are 10-7 minutes apart to go straight to labor and delivery.

Carrying on with my day, I went to get my hair done and had a nice visit with my Soror Alice. Richard was with me all day and we just hung out. At about 4pm I noticed the contractions that I had been having all day were becoming more frequent. I called the on call nurse at the hospital and she said that if the contractions get more intense, walking helps, but it also causes dilation. In my mind, I'm thinking that is not such a bad idea because I wanted her here on the 10th, so I decided to walk Tyson and Tony who were in desperate need of a walk. I made it as far as the mailbox. I was so tired, I couldn't go any further. (bed rest was not my friend if I couldn't make it past the mailbox) That was the end of my walk.

5:30pm Rich and I decided to have dinner, he wanted Thai food, so I am never one to turn down Thai food, so we ate at Garden Thai and then went home so he could watch the Laker Game. I had a prenatal massage set up at 7:00pm. This was so relaxing. By the end of my massage, my contractions were about 20 minutes apart. I was feeling good and relaxed. Todd got home from work about this time. We were talking and and I was still contracting. My contractions went from 20 minutes apart to 6 minutes apart.

I took a shower and got dressed and Todd, Richard and I headed to the hospital. It was about 9:45pm by the time I got into the room. It was looking like she was gonna come fast. I was having sharp intense contractions and I was dilated to 4cm. We made all of the calls and family and friends were floating in with excitement. I was ready, Todd was ready and most of all Taelyn was ready. The on call doctor saw me right away and was optimistic that she would arrive soon. After a while, the contractions were close and I was checked again with no change, still 4cm. So at about 1:00am, I still had no change. The doctor said that we will just wait and see what happens, hopefully I would dilate more so that Taelyn can have a safe passage. At about 3:30am, all of our visitors which included Todd's dad and Step mom, My mom and Step dad, Russell, Gigi, Richard, Kellina and Marco decided to go home.

We pushed through the night, my contractions were frequent and strong. My doctor came in at 7am and was so busy he was unable to see us right away. He had 2 c-sections and some sort of emergency so when he FINALLY came into my room at about 12:45pm, (my luck) I was in the restroom I told him to wait just 2 seconds, but he said he would come right back. So as soon as he left my room he got called in to do another c-section. So we didn't get to see him until about 2:00pm. He said that I wasn't progressing. So there was really nothing that could be done, they wanted to keep me and observe me to see if there is more progression. My contractions were coming this entire time. They were every 2-3 minutes and way more intense. They gave me a pain killer through my IV to take the edge off. At about 5:00ish he said that he was going to stop the labor because I was in so much pain and I wasn't making any progress, so they were gonna send me home if the contractions stopped.

The medicine they gave me to stop the contractions didn't work, they just kept coming. So he said unless I start to dilate or my water breaks there was nothing they could do. He didn't want to break my water for me because I was only 35 weeks and 5 days. He said that if I were 36-38 weeks he would have had no problem helping me, but because I am not considered full term he didn't feel comfortable with assisting me. So at about 8:30pm we were discharged and sent home. I was just so tired and uncomfortable and disappointed, I didn't even care, I just wanted to be out of Limbo. Either she was coming or she wasn't, and if she wasn't send me home and if she was, then get it moving. I was just too thrilled to go home and get some sort of food in my. All I was allowed to eat was a liquid meal and that sucked too. When we left, we stopped at Chipotle and went straight home. Todd and I went straight to bed. Poor Todd was so exhausted. I was too, but I didn't get much sleep because I was contracting though the night. So here I am tired, disappointed, and still in pain....

I really though she would be here by now. I willed it to happen on the 10th, but I guess it just wasn't mean to be. I am fine with it, I never thought it would really happen anyway, I just wanted it to. Then when I started with the contractions I thought "Could this really be happening? Could I really get what I wanted?" Obviously not! I am fine with it, I just want her here safely. Although I am tired of being pregnant and uncomfortable, I want a health, happy baby more, so if I have to wait longer I don't care, I just want these contractions to go away until she is really ready.





Kellina and Marco just talking


Dr. Marco


Gigi and Me


Monitoring Mama and Taelyn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...