Sunday, August 7, 2011

Am I a "Stage Mom?" NEVER!!!

Taelyn had an audition for Disney yesterday... Yes, Disney, as in Mickey Mouse and Goofy. I was so excited and nervous. This is BIG. The doors that would open up for Taelyn if she got something like this. It is for a print ad, but still, it is DISNEY for crying out loud! This company made people like, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguiliera, Selena Gomez and the list goes on and on. Not all of them may have the best reputation, but hey, they sure did make a name for themselves.

I approached it like any other audition and planned on heading out to LA, grab some lunch, then head home. Since it was Saturday, I asked if my mom wanted to come and she of course said sure. Even Maila, my niece tagged along. Maybe this was not such a great idea....

On the way there, Maila played with Taelyn the whole time, where if it were just me and her, she would have napped. When we got there, there were soooo many babies. I have never been to an audition where there were so many little ones. Taelyn was certainly engaged. When I signed her in, they asked me to audition with her, (weird) but I said ok. We waited in line for nearly an hour to be seen. The whole time my mom was sizing up the other babies and showing off all of the things Taelyn can do such as dance on command, give flying kisses and used her sign to give her treats. (please, more, thank you and all done).

Usually we are in and out in no longer than 30 mins. By the time it was Taelyn's turn, she wasn't in a bad mood, but she wasn't happy either. The moment I put her on her mark, she SCREAMED. I didn't even know how to react. She has NEVER acted like that. I tried my best to make her smile for the pictures, but the photographer just said to let her cry and he would take the shots anyway. Then he photographed me and we were sent on our way.

I had such a horrible feeling afterwards. The whole walk to the car I just felt yucky. My mom was bugging me about how it was nuts and how all the other babies were so ugly and Taelyn was the cutest there and how she was shocked at her behavior. I think it was an accumulation of everything combined, I broke down in tears. I was so disappointed and overwhelmed, I couldn't take it. Then maybe 1 minute into my tears, I thought, What the hell is wrong with me??? Why am I so upset? Was it because Taelyn was so uncooperative? Was I just irritated with my mom? Then it hit me, Why do I care so much? It is just an audition, how could I let it get me so upset? I quickly got out of my own head and wiped my tears and kissed my baby who was happy as ever now.

Lighten up T! Yes, it was the worst audition ever, but who cares! Taelyn is gorgeous and talented and if it was meant to be, then it will be. I could have done things differently, but that is just not the way it went, so there is nothing I can do but get over it. Anytime the stage mom in me comes out, I will remember this day and tell myself to get over it.

2 comments:

  1. You have a great attitude about it! I think anytime we have a certain picture in our heads of how our kids will do (even if it is thinking they'll be excited about something, then they could care less), it's a little of a let down. :( Fun to see you at church today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly, it was great seeing you too!

    ReplyDelete

Trent is 6!!

I blinked and my man turned six years old.  Every year I have had a huge party.  According to Trent, I give all of his friends weapons on hi...